case consultation
Two college students who were tased last summer by Atlanta police officers during civil rights protests have filed a claim seeking compensation from the city. The students, from Morehouse and Spelman, claim that they were injured when officers used their tasers and forced the students from their car. One of the students suffered a fractured arm and a laceration that required 20 stitches, attorneys for the students noted. The students, who say they were not actually a part of the protests when the incident occurred but were merely caught in traffic, both claim they are suffering from nightmares and emotional distress following the incident. Two officers were fired last year because of the situation, and three more were given desk duty. However, in February, the Civil Service Board ruled that the fired officers should be given their jobs back. Many people do not realize that it is possible to file a personal injury lawsuit against the city. While it can be done, the process is different in some respects than a personal injury case filed against a person or non-governmental entity. Some of the additional steps involved include:
  • Providing written notice to the city of the intent to file a lawsuit.
  • Filing the claim with the governmental authority in writing within six months after the date on which the injury was incurred.
  • The governmental entity has 30 days to take action on the claim. Unless the action is a settlement, however, the claimant still has a right to file a claim in court and to suspend the statute of limitations during the entity’s 30-day consideration of the claim.
If you were injured as the result of a governmental agency or employee’s carelessness or recklessness, an experienced personal injury attorney from Cambre & Associates can help you explore your legal options for pursuing compensation. Contact us for a free case evaluation.